"Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the bones." Proverbs 16:24





Saturday, January 26, 2013

Practicing Trust

Each teacher through their week of lessons usually weaves a theme for their classroom, whether verbs or adjectives, semi circles or right angles.

A president has a certain motto that he bases his campaign off of.

A pastor weaves a general theme through out the church service.

And sometimes the Lord, in certain seasons of our life, He teaches specific lessons.

Sometimes it's patience.

Faith.

Being humble.

Having grace.

Or trust. Five letters. Count 'em. 1..2..3..4..5.. Five little bitty letters. T-R-U-S-T. Four consonants and one vowel. And it could quite possibly be THE hardest lesson you have ever learned.

That I am learning...


Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

              -Proverbs 3:5-6

I can read those words and tell myself, Trust in the Lord...He shall direct your paths.

But when the Lord, through His word says, 

As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.-John 20:21

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.-Matthew 28:19-20

When what you want to see is a burning bush, and God speaking through it telling you, yes! I want you to give a year in the mission field. Yes! I want you to go and serve Me.

But all you receive are scriptures telling you to go. But yet, if I tell my Sunday school class that I believe the Bible is God's word? How can I NOT live like I believe that?

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. -Hebrews 4:12

And I have to trust Him.

Yes.

I believe Your words are living and powerful.

Yes.

I trust in You.

Yes.

You say to go even as You went and told people how much You loved them.

Then yes.

Yes! I will go! I will trust You!

Scared.

Nervous.

With my stomach in knots.

I will say yes.

Where You lead. I will follow. I will trust that Your hand is on my tomorrow.

Yes. I will trust you with my future.

I will give up the Now dreams, for the Future.

I had to learn that lesson again.

Will you trust Me?

Will you trust Me with your whole future?

Oh God, the same lesson in a month?

This. Is. So. Hard.

What does my future hold that I need all these lessons on trust?

Sometimes people say the main reason we have trust issues is because:




But I think it goes waaaayyyy deeper...

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. -Romans 3:23

I have sinned and fallen short. Therefore I am imperfect. And imperfect people have issues with trust. I mean, think about it... Trust is hard! You know I'm right...We're all friends here, you can admit it.

Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went home. And in his upper room, with his windows open toward Jerusalem, he knelt down on his knees three times that day, and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom since early days. -Daniel 6:10

I am not a great theologian but Daniel knew if he prayed he could be thrown into the lions den. But he trusted God, and he still prayed to the Lord as was his custom ''since early days.'' Daniel didn't start praying because of a new law, he had already been praying and trusting before this new deadly law.

"Daniel was taken up out of the den, and no injury whatever was found on him, because he believed in his God." -Daniel 6:23b

He believed.

Believe-accept somebody as truthful: to accept that somebody is telling the truth.

Trust-assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something: one in which confidence is placed; dependence on something future or contingent.  

Trust, five letters, defined as the assured reliance on the ability of someone. And I am so thankful that my Someone is Jesus.

But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.-Isaiah 40:31


Those who wait on the Lord, they shall run and not be weary...

Will you wait upon the Lord with trust?




No comments:

Post a Comment